Monday, December 20, 2010

First authentic ramen place opening in EDMONTON?!

I AM ECSTATIC! First Beard Papa's came to town, and now Sanpachi, a ramen chain straight from Sapporo, Japan, is soon to open its door in Edmonton! Unlike Vancouver where ramen joints flourish, this will be the first ever Japanese ramen joint to open in Edmonton and the location will be in the south side on Calgary Trail. Finally, we don't have to fly to Vancouver every time we crave a descent bowl of ramen. A fancy "fusion" version and udon noodles simply don't fill the void either. I'm talking about flavourful, rich broth, chewy house-made egg noodles, tender slices of pork from a place that is actually authentic and owned by Japanese people, not just random interpretations of how ramen should be. As far as I'm concerned, real ramen is currently non-existent in Edmonton. Hence, this is probably one of the most exciting and refreshing news ever! It's nice to see Edmonton culinary scene finally progressing. Now that I've expressed my optimism, here's my concern: If it's only a franchise, will it be authentic (especially in Edmonton)? I've eaten at fast food chains in Japan and I thought they had excellent control over quality of their food. With Sanpachi also being a fast food chain, I hope they have some ways of maintaining quality here. Although, I've heard that the Vancouver location is doing quite well. I guess the ramen lovers in Edmonton will have to wait and find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment