Saturday, January 15, 2011

Afternoon tea at Faubourg


My sister and I checked in at Faubourg right away after she picked me up from YVR. Located in Kerrisdale, it is surprising that a cafe that has only been opened for 6 weeks was that busy already. The window display, also a refrigerator, showcases beautiful, daily made decadents Faubourg has to offer.






We met up with 2 other friends, Alex and MaynaMerh, and thus, our quality afternoon tea-jam sesh commenced. We visited Adonia Tea House, also located in the same area, not too long ago and were excited to see what Faubourg has to offer. The atmosphere was casual with warm and welcoming services. I noticed that some of the staff were French. The decor of the coffee shop seating area was lovely. It was simple, yet elegant with high ceiling, a gigantic Victorian portrait, chandeliers, and an old fashion clock.




There was a tray of tea selections and, since I'm not a huge tea fanatic, I just let P take a pick. I couldn't remember what she chose but I definitely liked what Miss Merh had chosen. Her Vert Provence was very aromatic and soothing and I would probably order that instead the next time I come back.



We just missed lunch which was from 12-2 pm, and I was kinda disappointed since the menu sounded good and I was looking forward to it. So, P and I ended up sharing a chicken sandwich, and Pink Afternoon Tea set for $25.50.
The chicken sandwich was only okay. The best part about it was the baguette which was firm and chewy, but not hard and crusty that it hurt your gum and teeth.

Two Pink Afternoon tea sets which may seemed like a lot, but if you cut divide in half it's really not that much. They look very appealing though!


Chocolate truffle, mini lemon tart, raspberry soufflé, parfait, chocolate mousse, and mini Opera
Scones with cream and jam

Sandwiches
The sandwich selections were smoked salmon with wasabi cream, roast beef and cucumber, and chicken and apple. It's safe to say that we didn't find the sandwiches outstanding and the fillings were small in portion. Nonetheless, the exceptional pastries made up for the losses.



I can't go on without writing about how superb the soufflé was. It was light and velvety. The fluffiness just melted in your mouth with a burst of tangy and sweet raspberry flavour. It was divine and I remember specifically asking for another shot of it after I cleaned it out dry. Another honourable mention is the velvety chocolate truffle. Alex was saving it for last, I suggested for him to just eat it and let his eyes roll back. He chuckled at first but after tasting it, his reaction was exactly that.
Rich, yet fluffy chocolate mousse
Mini lemon tart, looks cute and tastes just as good!
Buttery, yet airy creme fraiche over scone. YUM!

Miss Merh ordered the Purple Afternoon tea ($16) which is the smaller version of the Pink Afternoon tea.

Several long conversations later, we finally made our way out. Miss Merh saw pictures of macarons on the website and was hoping to grab some but, alas, none was to be found. We ended up meeting and chatting up with Linda, the co-owner of the coffee shop. She informed us that they currently don't have the facility to make macarons right from the kitchen and they have to be made else where. The next batch will be made for Valentine's Day. She informed us that they want to pay close attention into making the macarons so that they come out right other than rushing and putting out mediocre ones. Therefore, once they do come out they will be worth the wait. Both Linda and her husband moved to Vancouver from France. Both having experience in hotel management and her husband had years of experience and culinary training, they are able to use their skills and experience to open up the french bakery and gaining popularity very fast. Linda also talked about having a clear vision and concept for Faubourg,
"I want the customers to be able to come in feeling like they are at a friend's living room... Rather than being a typical Parisian style coffee shop, we cannot achieve it without having that spirit."
With plans of expansion to West Vancouver or downtown area, this emerging French bakery has made its mark in Vancouver. On the way out, I picked up a raspberry pistachio mille feuille. Linda warned us that it is best eaten on the same day. When I got home, I ate half and, my oh my, was the pastry ever flakey! The next day, I tried to eat the rest and I should've listened to Linda. It wasn't as good as the day before.

No comments:

Post a Comment