Friday, January 7, 2011

Pepe's Black Peppered Prawn recipe

What I like about cooking with my sister, Pepe, is that we counteract what the other person lacks when making certain dishes. For example, I love making sauces, fusion dishes, appies, and anything with loads of cheese in. But I'm horrible at making stir fry dishes and they usually turn out abominably bland or overcooked that I just want to trash it. Meanwhile, anything P can find can turn into delicious, flavourful stir-frys, but she won't know what to do with a block of cheese and a spaghetti squash. So when she was visiting from Vancouver, I took advantage and let her take charge and cook me something to eat that I wouldn't be able to make myself. So she was able to come up with the black peppered prawn and the pan-fried tilapia for me to polish off in just one meal. This dish only took her less than 15 minutes to make so she didn't have to deal with my hunger wrath. How awesome is that?


Ingredients:
3 tbsp olive oil
1.5 cup tiger prawns, thawed and deveined
2 tbsp. minced scallion or red onion
3 chopped garlic
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon granulated or brown sugar
2 pinches of ground pepper
2 tsp. chopped green onion and cilantro

Preparation:
1. Heat the oil in a pan using medium to high heat until hot, add chopped garlic and scallion. Fry until golden brown
2. Add tiger prawns. Cook until the prawns are pink on both sides. This usually only takes 2-3 minutes. Do not overcook the prawns as the worst thing to happen is to end up with hard and chewy prawn meat!!
3. While the prawns cook, add soy sauce and sugar. Stir the sauce with prawns well.
4. Season with black pepper
5. Turn off the heat and plate the prawns. Garnish with chopped cilantro and green onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment