Friday, January 28, 2011

Another wonderful lunch at Chesa Swiss restaurant, Bangkok


My family has been loyal patrons to Chesa for the last 6 to 7 years. We value the consistency in the quality and authenticity of fine Swiss cuisine being served here. One of my pet peeves is going to restaurants that do not stay true to the flavours of the cuisines. I've spoken to an English teacher in Japan who once complained to me,
"While I love Japanese food, and it is delicious, I truly miss North American style fast food. I absolutely cannot find a good pizza or hamburger here."
It is fortunate that Thailand has a larger and more diverse mix of foreigners coming to open up restaurants in the country. With more competition, they drive to excel by not only being innovative, but also emphasizing authenticity of their native cuisine. Chesa is no exception. The head chefs here work very hard to train Thai chefs, whether new or with experience, to refine their cooking skills in Swiss cuisine, creating impeccable meals. We noticed that around 85-90 % of the regular patrons are all Europeans. Should my observation and experience be of any indication, I can vouch that Swiss fare at Chesa is the real deal.


In 2000, Swiss chefs Thomas Nowak and Rene Kuhn joined forces and opened up Chesa in the heart of downtown Sukhumvit area and the restaurant has been the talk of town since. The restaurant was built into a charming 2 storey house, which gives it a very cozy, and inviting atmosphere. The interior is decorated with Swiss decor and dark wooden furniture. Head chef and co-owner, Thomas, is often seen in the dining area greeting and chatting with customers, making everyone feel welcomed. The elegant, yet comfortable setting is great for having intimate dinners or business lunches.


On a carefree weekday afternoon, I took the opportunity to go on a lunch date with my mom who has been to the restaurant so often that the servers remember how she likes her water. While Chesa has an extensive list of traditional Swiss fare (my favourite being the cheese fondue), they also offer 3 or 4 course lunch sets during weekdays at a great value of 350 - 380 bath or $12 - $13 (excluding tax and gratuity).

We were served with warm toasted bread rolls and whole wheat bread. I was supposed to lay off as much carbs especially white bread, but after I felt that it was fresh and warm, I couldn't resist. The butter was also as fresh, soft, and light as cream. So much for having diet restrictions....



To start off, the salad of the day was ham and swiss cheese salad with house dressing. While it was crisp and refreshing, I found my salad to be a bit too drenched in olive oil.


The second course to arrive was the soup of the day, spinach. It arrived in a vibrant emerald green colour. You could see from the soup attaching on the bread that it was pureed and made fresh. It was not too rich or heavy in cream, which was absolutely fantastic.

I was already getting full just before the entrees arrived. My mother ordered seafood thermidor with butter rice with sautéed onions, and a side of peas and carrots. I tasted it to see if it was as sophisticated as it looked, and actually, it tasted even more sophisticated than it looked. The seafood were cooked perfectly in a tasty white cream sauce. Of course, I had to have more than just one bite.

My entree, chicken stroganoff with butter noodles, arrived looking just as impressive. It was giving off a very alluring aroma, hinting how tasty it would taste. The sauce had a lot of depth and was very rich with succulent, pan-fried bite-size chicken. The dish was also extremely tasty. Though I couldn't finish it in one sitting, I definitely enjoyed it again later that day (and I was thankful I had leftover).



The dessert of the day was one of my favourites, tiramisu. The decadent treat had a section of creamy custard joining to the soft spongy cake, drenched in coffee at the bottom. The slice was small, but this was a case where good things come in small sizes.


So if you staying around Sukhumvit area, be sure to stop by this hidden gem in the middle of Bangkok metropolitan. It's definitely worth while.

No comments:

Post a Comment